Thursday 11 February 2010

Justiication of layout




As I am sure you are aware at first glance at my contents page that it perhaps does not follow the typical convention of music magazine contents pages. However, in parr with this editon of Spin magazine's contents page I feel I can justiy this as Spin are a well known and well established brand. I also had very good reasons as to why I did not lay my page out in a structured, busy way such as magazines like NME, Q etc. From my preliminary task I learnt that this type of contents page design was not very "me" and therefore I did not execute the page very well. However this is not the only reason. I also felt that this type of layout would fit in much better with the style of my magazine which is much more feminine, spaced out and easy to read. There was a very fine line between this being a contents page and it ending up looking like a front page. To make sure this was clear I used a large bold font, still fitting in with the colour scheme to make it clear this was the contents page. I also used a clear structure to the writing which is layed out similarly to Spin magazines. (I took the conventions from Spin and made them my own, however I made sure that the magazine still worked as a contents page by following these 'rules'. By doing all this I think that in fact I have just about got away with using this, prehaps unusual , layout to my magazine and while I obviously wanted to conform to the typical conventions of contructing a music magazine I also understand how important to the convntions of magazine it is to have a unique selling point. It could be argued that the unique selling point of my magazine is perhaps the unconventional layouts that I have at times used.

No comments: